Burst pipes can cause serious damage to your home’s structure and electrical wiring, that’s why they’re classed as a water emergency. It’s vital to take action the moment you spot leaking water. So when you see potential damage, remember to breathe, take a second and then spring into action.
A few simple steps to follow with a burst pipe emergency:
- Turn the water supply off at the source – this will ensure you won’t waste anymore water;
- Turn off all electrics – If water from the burst pipes are leaking near your electrics or electrical appliances, switch off the mains immediately;
- If there’s a water leak coming from the ceiling collect it in a bucket. If the ceiling bulges, pierce the plaster with a broom handle to let water release;
- Remove any excess water as best you can – soaking up with a towel or using a bucket if the flood is deep enough;
- Move your valuables out of the way – lifting lounges on tables, and tv’s on kitchen benches, making sure it’s all out of water;
- Open as many doors and windows as possible, this will allow the flooded water to escape;
- Check your insurance policy and see what you’re entitled to for a burst pipe emergency;
- Take photos of all water damage – it’s always good to have solid proof;
- Remove damaged items out of the way and store somewhere safe, as your insurance company may want to see proof of damage before they reimburse;
- Keep a record of all conversations and names of the people you speak, also a photocopy of any correspondence you send or receive, it’s better to have more than enough than not enough.
A burst pipe emergency can cause stress and expense, however if you act fast, the situation will be over and corrected in no time.
When it comes to burst pipes, Oceanside Services are the Coast’s experts for all your burst pipe repair needs. We offer a 1 hour emergency response to all areas of the Gold & Tweed Coast’s. Call our friendly team now on 07 5520 7100!